Monday, January 13, 2014

Homemade Deodorant

Homemade Deodorant



So my family thinks I have really lost it. First I start homeschooling - they think I am psycho, but I love it. Best decision I have made in a while. Then, I make my own shampoo. I hate chemicals, unless they are used to clean my bathroom toilet, then chemical away, but to put on my skin, hair, etc. Not very comforting to me. I gave you my shampoo recipe in my last post. As an update, it has been about a week, and my hair looks awful. I really want to love this stuff. I know that it takes a week or so for your head/hair to adjust. I did put coconut oil in it today as an extra softener, moisturizer for my hair and it looks really stringy. I know not to use that anymore. But, I am going to stick with it. If it kills me, I will learn to love this. I might have to come up with another formula, but I am determined to rid my daily routine of as much chemical based products as possible. If you do make that shampoo, which again I am going to stick with, DO NOT get it into your eyes. Oh my gosh - pain is all I have to say. I couldn't open my eye for about 10 minutes, not even to wash it out. So please, be careful.

Deodorant:

  • 1/2 C coconut oil
  • 1/2 C shea butter or cocoa butter (I used shea)
  • 1/2 C beeswax 
  • 1 tsp. Vitamin E oil (Optional)
  • 3 tbsp. baking soda (Omit if you have sensitive skin)
  • 1/2 C arrowroot powder
  • 2-3 capsules of high quality probiotics (not the kind you have to refrigerate)
  • Essential oils of choice (optional) 
How to make:  

Combine coconut oil, shea butter, and beeswax in a double boiler or a glass bowl over a smaller saucepan with 1" of water in it. I used an old mason jar which I will reuse and placed in a pot with water. No need to wash (Yah)  

Turn the burner on and bring water to boil. Stir ingredients constantly unit they are melted and smooth. 

Remove from heat and add the vitamin E, baking soda, arrowroot powder, probiotics, and essential oils. Make sure the mixture is not hot to the touch (warm is OK) so that the head doesn't kill the probiotics. 

Gently stir by hand until all ingredients are incorporated. 

I poured into cupcake liners. I tried to find the plastic reusable cupcake molds but didn't find any. You can also pour into an old stick deodorant, but let it harden 15-20 minutes before you pour into that. Just spoon it in and pack it down. Leave the cap off overnight so it can completely harden before use. 

Today is the first day I used it. Feels a little waxy, but doable. And, as of yet, I do not stink. 

I got most ingredients at the local health food store, Back to Basics, but I found them a little pricey. Next time, I will buy from an online source like Mountain Rose Herb. They seem reasonably priced and they deliver quickly.  

Next on my agenda - homemade lotion. I use tons of lotion. I lotion every inch of me every day, so I am hoping this will be cost effective, but it might be worth a little extra. 

So here is to a healthy, all-natural living. 

Peace out YO!!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment