Saturday, January 4, 2014

All Natural

I have been slowly weaning myself from store bought, over processed food, over chemically products to a more natural approach to living. A few months ago I made my own laundry detergent and dishwasher soap. Both of these were powder, but my husband informed me that powder formula was not good for the septic. So my next approach will be for a homemade liquid dishwasher and laundry soap. (recipe at another time)

I had recently bought some homemade soap that my friend had made. I fell in love. My skin feels so much better, much smoother, and just overall healthier. I will be making my own in the future when I am need, but for now I have 5 bars that will last me a little while.

This, however, got me thinking of trying to make my own shampoo and conditioner. I tried the "no poo" thing before, but I couldn't get myself to like it, and now as I am trying to grow my hair out, I knew this just wasn't going to work for me. So I went in search of a "recipe" for homemade shampoo. I came across one that I will be trying first and if I like it, I will stick with it. I am hoping that my hair will become more healthy as I have very dry, flyaway hair that looks awful unless I straighten it or make it go all curly which usually doesn't come out to my liking. So my search for a good all natural shampoo is in the works.

For my first attempt:

Natural Homemade Coconut Shampoo


  • 1/4 cup coconut milk. I made this myself. Instructions at the bottom.
  • 1/3 cup Liquid Castille Soap. I ordered this from The Common Scents, Inc. I found them to be reasonable. I also got a few different essential oils. 
  • 1/2 teaspoon (or several capsules) of vitamin E oil (optional) I didn't have any so I did not add this. 
  • 20 drops of essential oils of your choice. I used lavender. 
  • 1/2 teaspoon olive oil or almond oil. I used olive oil as I have dry hair. If you have oily hair, I would omit this.
How to make: 
  1. Combine all ingredients in an old shampoo bottle or jar of some kind. I used an old hand soap pump bottle. 
  2. Shake well to mix.
  3. Keep in shower for up to 1 month.
  4. Shake before each use. 
  5. Use about a teaspoon every time you shampoo. 
With my hair, I definitely need a conditioner, so for the meantime, until I can find a good "recipe", I am going to use the apple cider vinegar as this is an all natural conditioner. 

1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
1 cup of water
Lemon essential oil (optional)

Homemade coconut milk  

4 cups water
1/5-2 cups of unsweetened shredded coconut 

  1. Heat water but do not boil. It should be hot, but not scalding. 
  2. Put coconut in blender and add water. 
  3. Blend on high for several minutes until thick and creamy.
  4. Pour through mesh colander first and then cheesecloth. Squeeze all the milk out of the cheesecloth. 
I made extra so I could make coconut oil. 

So after I see how this works, I may just venture into a homemade face cream. If anyone has a recipe for such, please share. 

Happy shampooing.

Peace out!!!! Happy New Year y'all




No comments:

Post a Comment