Saturday, December 7, 2013

To Help or Not to Help

Good evening, 

I had recently posted a questions on FacebookHow would you respond if someone told you that you waste too much of your time helping others and you shouldn't do it, that you should be more selfish and think only of yourself?  

What would you do? How would you respond? 

I didn't really respond to that question because I really didn't know what to say. I truthfully thought it was a crummy statement to make, but I kept that thought to myself. 


The way I think of it is - if everyone did things for other people, how better would the world we live in be? I think that is a main reason why this world is like it is today, because we are all way too selfish. Even me!!!! You can even look at it this way (somewhat selfish)  - if everyone helps out other people, then hopefully in that mix you would be a recipient of that "help" in some way. So you get back as much as you give. As they say, what comes around, goes around, right? Wouldn't that be an incentive enough to help. 


However, that is not why I help out other people. For one, I like to help out, I feel like I have a purpose. It is said that we are all given a "talent" from God. I believe this and I know many people who know what that special gift is. Some have a wonderful voice and can sing like angels, some teach in Sunday school or are in children ministry, some have a gift of preaching. I, however, have not really found my gift yet, or at least I haven't identified "helping" as my gift, but then again, if I had to say what God gave me, I would have to say it is gift of service, the gift of helping others, the gift of giving. It is something I am good at, AND, I do not expect anything in return. I think that point is very important as nothing good will come of it if I did expect something. I used too expect things in return, and I think a lot of people live that way, but I know from experience that you are only setting yourself up for failure. That is one lesson I learned very early on.


I got a mix of responses to that question from my friends on Facebook,  but I believe the overall consensus is that helping out is good. What stood out was responses that stated to find the "happy medium", to not let it interfere with your family, home, or health, and to make sure that you are not taken advantage of by the selfish. I believe all these to be true. One must be careful as not to fall pray from one feigning neediness or one that is just out to take advantage of you. Unfortunately for me, and I am sure others, that this doesn't come to fruition until after the act of giving has already been done. I am one who learns the hard way. I am not a good judge of character. 


“No one is useless in this world who lightens the burdens of another.” 
― Charles Dickens

"Let nothing be done through selfish ambition or conceit, but in lowliness of mind; let each esteem others better than himself." Philippians 2:3


This is the best one - “You have not lived today until you have done something for someone who can never repay you.” 

― John Bunyan

Way to Go John Bunyan!!!!

It is also said that helping others actually may help you live longer and healthier. It is good for your mental state to give to others. So the saying has some merit to it - "it is better to receive than to give," and for more than one reason. 

So, I will continue to give unselfishly of my services to those who need it, but I will also make sure that it doesn't interfere with what is important to me, my family, home, and health. And when it comes to them, I am giving to them as well just as much in hopes of nothing in return (well, most of the time). It is nice to be the recipient of such "help, care, giving," but I don't expect it when I give of myself, and I wouldn't have it any other way. One day, it may be my time to get what has come around full circle, but until then, I will carry on as I have been. 


Philippians 2:4 - do not merely look out for your own personal interests, but also for the interests of others.
Luke 6:38 - "Give, and it will be given to you; good measure, pressed down, shaken together, running over, they will pour into your lap. For by your standard of measure it will be measured to you in return."
John 15:12 - "This is My commandment, that you love one another, just as I have loved you.
Hebrews 13:16 - And do not neglect doing good and sharing; for with such sacrifices God is pleased.
Galatians 6:2 - Bear one another's burdens, and thus fulfill the law of Christ.
There is certainly enough evidence that says helping out is what God wants us to do, that is is important, and it is what can and will make this world a better place. I feel through my small tokens of help, that I am making this world a better place. 
Good Bless. 

No comments:

Post a Comment